POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Textures and slopes : Textures and slopes Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Textures and slopes
From: Vincent LE CHEVALIER
Date: 17 Mar 2004 04:25:00
Message: <4058196c$1@news.povray.org>
Hello !

I've been trying to render the same landscape in POV-Ray and Terragen,
and I found myself stuck in the texturing. I wonder, in fact, if there
is a way to do the same texturing in POV and Terragen.

As far as I understand, Terragen's textures are organized in several
layers, each with a specific color and amount of bumps. So far, layered
textures would do the trick. The point is that in Terragen, you can
control the visibility of a layer based on the slope of the underlying
layers. For example, you can have a rock layer, very bumpy, and a snow
layer over it, only in the less slopy areas, with its own bumps.

I tried to achieve such effect with a slope pattern in a layered
texture, but in this case the slope used is just that of the
height_field, not including the normal perturbation.

I can obtain something similar using slope-patterned pigments and only
one normal statement, but then I lose the control over the bumps of each
layer.

Has anyone got an idea about how to solve this problem ?

--
Vincent